The Official Blog of the
Williamstown Theatre Festival

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Meet Becca Euliss, Apprentice Coordinator!


Introduce Yourself
My name is Becca Euliss, and I'm the Apprentice Coordinator for WTF. (Pictured: Becca Euliss with Stephen Sanders, Literary Associate)

Who are the apprentices?
The apprentices are a core group of 70 actors who are the greatest source of support for the festival, and in turn they receive some fabulous performing and networking opportunities throughout the summer. It is an educational program that offers multiple acting and improv classes, as well as master classes that cover everything from tap dance to stand-up comedy. They truly are the heart, soul, and fresh voices of the festival.

What is the average day like in the life of an apprentice?
On any given day, an apprentice will start work at 9:00am, doing some sort of work call (for lighting, the scene shop, etc.). After lunch, they'll get the chance to sit in on a "How I Got Where I Am" session, a Q&A opportunity with equity actors from the season. They'll go from their class to pick up a quick dinner, just in time to head backstage for their wardrobe crew call for the Main Stage. When the performance ends at 10:30, their work doesn't. They'll then head into an acting rehearsal for a 10-minute directing scene with a Directing Intern before their day finally ends in between midnight and 1:00am.

Tell us about two or three classes you have planned for the summer.
One really exciting class, or series of classes rather, that we have planned is stand-up training with  Lewis Black. He is going to show archival tapes of some of his work, then put the apprentices to work. The classes will culminate in an amateur stand-up night for those apprentices who take the workshop.

Tell us about your past experience with the Festival.
This is my second year with the festival. A few years back I was the Workshop Intern, where I basically trained to do the position I have now. I remember the summer as being incredibly difficult but very rewarding, and ultimately, I had to come back. If nothing else, I needed another summer with access to Pappa Charlie's...

Name two or three things apprentices should do outside of the Festival this summer.
Visit Mass MoCA, hike to the top of Mount Greylock, and find a good swimming hole. I work seven days a week, so mostly I want them to do all the things I missed out on my first summer here! This summer, I'm making sure I get to check some things off my WTF bucket list.


Tell us about an apprentice who has gone on to reach celebrity status.
Some of our famous apprentices include...
Chris Pine [Film] Star Trek
Ben Mackenzie [TV] The OC
Nate Corddry [TV] Studio 60
Xanthe Elbrick [Broadway] Coram Boy
Logan Marshall Green [Off-Broadway] King Lear (Public Theater)

Is there an apprentice task you'd like to try your hand at?
I think Apprentice Night is one of the most exciting Workshop nights of the summer. They select, direct, and perform (and essentially completely line produce) their own short pieces to perform for the company. We perform in The Log, and the event always has an amazing atmosphere that really epitomizes The Workshop Department to me. I have some involvement in casting and producing Apprentice Night, but I'm always excited to do more.

What do you think is the coolest part of your job?
By far, the coolest part of my job is meeting and knowing the apprentices. So many of them go on to become the most influential artists of our craft. They do some of the most progressive, fresh, and innovative work in the American Theatre, and I genuinely believe a lot of their inspiration comes from the time they spend here. It's an honor to be part of that process.

2011 WTF Apprentices





All photos by Clay Barron.

No comments:

Post a Comment