The Official Blog of the
Williamstown Theatre Festival

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

WTFaces | Matt Bovee, Apprentice


NAME: Matt Bovee

DEPARTMENT: Workshop

POSITION: Apprentice

YEARS WITH FESTIVAL: First!

HOMETOWN: Pacifica, CA

JOB OUTSIDE THE FESTIVAL: Senior Campus Tour Guide @ UC San Diego

SCHOOL/TRAINING: entering my 4th year as a double major in Theatre and Dance at UC San Diego

FAVORITE PLAYWRIGHTS: Steven Gurguis, Wendy Wasserstein, Billy Shakespeare

FAVORITE PLAYS: The Last Days of Judas Iscariot, Twelfth Night, The Heidi Chronicles, to name a few

FAVORITE NON-THEATRE ACTIVITIES: I’m not sure I understand what you mean…do singing and dancing count?

HOW DID YOU GET YOUR POSITION?

I had a couple friends do it a couple years back who mentioned its awesomeness. One of my favorite teachers also encouraged me to apply, and must have written me a really good recommendation letter, seeing as how I’m here.

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE OR FIRST MEMORY OF WTF?

Working on a kids musical [Schmoozy Togetherness] has been amazing. I’m really great at cheesy.

WHAT ARE YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES THIS SUMMER?

As an Apprentice we do everything from building sets to hanging lights to reading lines for the Main Stage actors at their rehearsals… we are the everyman. When I’ve not been bravely scaling the Main Stage lighting grid, crescent wrench in hand, I’ve been in rehearsals for the free theatre musical Schmoozy Togetherness which is a total blast. I’m also going to be working on the first cabaret, which is pretty exciting. This weekend a few friends and I are also going sing some barbershop in the local street fair. Keeping busy for sure.

WHAT ARE YOU MOST LOOKING FORWARD TO?

Making new lifelong friends! (Yeah, I’m that cheesy.)

TO WHAT DO YOU ASPIRE?

I would like to act in as many types of venues and capacities as I can for the rest of my life, without starving or living in a cardboard box. When I’m old and really grumpy and awesome, I think I’d like to teach high school theatre.


[photo] Sam Hough for © WTF ’09 [pictured] Matt Bovee

No comments:

Post a Comment