The Official Blog of the
Williamstown Theatre Festival

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

WTFaces | Amy Lipman, Literary Intern

Name: Amy Lipman

Department: Literary

Position: Literary Intern/Dramaturg

Years with Festival: This is my first.

Hometown: Naperville, IL


Job Outside the Festival: I just graduated from the University of Illinois, and while I was there I spent much of my time confusedly waitressing at a Thai restaurant.


School/Training: I got my theatre degree from the U of I, Champaign-Urbana, and have interned with Victory Gardens Theater in Chicago, as well as Actors Theatre of Louisville.


Favorite Playwrights: Nilo Cruz, Lynn Nottage, Ntozake Shange, Tennessee Williams.


Favorite Plays: A PARK IN OUR HOUSE, INTIMATE APPAREL, FOR COLORED GIRLS…


Favorite Non-Theatre Activities: Starting bands that break up after two months, busting moves, attending garage sales, laughing.

How did you get your position/how did you find out about WTF?

The lovely Sarah Slight got my name from my former boss at ATL who told her I was okay, which scored me an interview.

What is your first or favorite memory of Williamstown?

The mountains around here are pretty nice, if you haven’t noticed.

What are your responsibilities this summer?

Along with my co-intern Clare Drobot, I read and evaluate scripts for the Weissberger award, complete articles and interviews for the blog and a few of the programs, attend readings and help coordinate Fridays at 3. I’m also the dramaturg on KNICKERBOCKER, THE TORCH-BEARERS, and THE EGG-LAYERS, a new and exciting studio show [directed by Assistant Director Mike Donahue as a part of the Workshop].

What are you most looking forward to?

Moving to Malvern, Pennsylvania at the end of the summer to work at People’s Light and Theatre through next May, and my participation in the 2010 Winter Olympics.


To what do you aspire?

I want to keep writing plays and working in theatre, and I hope to get an M.F.A. in poetry and then teach at the college level.



[photo] Sam Hough for © WTF ’09 [pictured] Amy Lipman


No comments:

Post a Comment